Change in thyroid drug
The cover story of the Apotheken Umschau from May 1, 2019 deals with the thyroid gland. However, the following report on a thyroid drug became known after the editorial deadline
Doctors and pharmacists provide information on what changes for the individual as a result of the new composition of the drug
© Dpa_PictureAlliance / BSIP_Belmonte
Important news for patients with hypothyroidism: The manufacturer Merck intends to introduce its drug with the product name Euthyrox in a new, slightly modified composition between mid-April and early May.
The new product can be recognized by a changed packaging design. This does not change the active ingredient, but two auxiliary substances. This can sometimes be critical for the adjustment of the thyroid values and lead to side effects.
The manufacturer and the drug authorities advise patients who take the preparation of the following:
• Patients should take the new preparation as before
• You should contact your doctor and consult about a close inspection
• Particularly in "sensitive" patients, the intake of the active substance can differ; This includes patients with thyroid cancer or cardiovascular diseases, pregnant women, children and the elderly
• Patients should not switch back to the old product if they have already taken the new tablets
• When you travel, you should make sure that you have enough of the new Euthyrox with you
• The pharmacies have patient information ready